Dhol Tasha performances are an integral part of Maharashtrian culture. The popularity of Dhol Tasha has seen a rapid growth in all geographical and socioeconomic sections of Maharashtra. Growing presence of Dhol Tasha teams in North America reflects this cultural trend.
Dhol Tasha performances had been given a place in the processions and parades conducted during recent BMM Conventions. We believe that the enhanced quality of performances and overall enthusiasm shown by Maharashtrian diaspora in North America deserve more than just a token representation during the BMM Convention.
We are excited to introduce for the very first time at a BMM convention, “आमची भाषा ढोल ताशा” a dhol tashacompetition.
आपले पथक घेऊन उतरा मैदानात!!.. General Rules, Eligibility, and Guidelines:
- Each team shall have a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 15 participants.
- Participants need to be at least 10 years old as of July 11, 2019.
- There will be two rounds in this competition, Preliminary and Final.
- Preliminary round:
- The preliminary round is a digital entry round using audition video that needs to be submitted with the online entry form.
- The audition video should include the participating team members only.
- The video should be a new video created for the BMM2019 entry.
- The digital entry video for the preliminary round should be maximum 12 minutes in length.
- Video should be created with a plain/clear background, good lighting such that the participants are clearly visible in the video and good quality audio.
- Video should be taken within last 3 months of the entry submission.
- Video should be a wide-angle video taken with a single camera that shows the full team’s performance.
- The entry fee per participating team is $50 and is nonrefundable.
- Only one entry is allowed per participating team.
- A participant can be only in one dhol tasha team.
- The judging for both rounds will be primarily based on the following criteria:
- Final rounds will be conducted at the time of BMM2019 convention. All finalists performing at BMM2019 will have to be registered for BMM2019 as attendees and bear their convention registration, travel and accommodation costs to participate in the Finals.
- If selected for finals, each team will have a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of 12 minutes of performance time. The final performance does not need to match the preliminary round audition video. The team can choose to perform at a higher skill level for the finals.
- For finals, only leather skin dhols tied with cotton rope are allowed. Dhols need to be at least 19 inches and not more than 25 inches in diameter.
- Finalists may bring their own equipment to perform at the finals. However, if any finalists need dhol and tasha for their final performance at the BMM2019 convention, they can inform BMM2019 in advance to make those available to them in Dallas. BMM2019 can arrange to provide dhol and tasha for free for their performance. These can also be available for purchase by the team if they inform the BMM2019 team in advance.
- For the selected team’s eligibility for the finals, the replacement of any participant may be permitted only if the original participant had purchased the BMM2019 registration but was unable to attend the convention due to unforeseen circumstances.
How to enter the contest:
- Participating team must enter the contest through BMM2019’s Dhol Tasha competition entry page (see the link for the entry form at the end of this page). After clicking the link for the entry form, you will be directed to the BMM2019 competitions via submittable.com application.
- If you are a new user of the submittable.com application, please create a new user account after clicking the entry form link at the bottom of this page. You can then create your entry in the submittable application.
- If you are an existing user of submittable.com, you can use your submittable user id and password to access your submissions history, drafts and new entry forms.
- The entry form is to be filled by a primary contact who represents the team. Primary contact can be the participant (if 18 years or older) or an adult (18 years or older) entering the information and accepting the terms and conditions on behalf of the team. If Primary contact is a participant, he/she will also need to enter his/her name as a participant.
- The address and phone number entered should be the primary contact’s address (same as payment card address).
- The participating team should upload the video for Dhol Tasha entry in any of the following formats – mp4, AVI, 3GP, WebM, MKV, MOV, MPG, FLV, WMV, M4V with a maximum file size of 400 MB.
- The entry form and video cannot be updated or canceled once submitted.
- Participants will need to provide the required information, upload the video and make the full payment via submittable application in order to submit the entry. Participants have the option to “Save as Draft” to save partially entered forms. Participants will be required to complete all the information and submit the form before the entry deadline to complete the entry process.
- Your entry will be considered complete only after all the required fields are entered, the digital videos have been uploaded and the entry fee has been paid.
- The final day to submit entries is 11 November 2018.
- Participating team will receive a confirmation of the submission and payment receipt of their entry fee on the email provided in the entry form.
- Participants can log in to the submittable application to view their submissions.
- Finalists will be selected at the beginning of 2019.
Please read the additional terms and conditions on the link below before submitting your entry