We are excited to present the finalists of the BMM 2019 Wah Ustad Hindustani Classical Vocal competition!
Watch them compete live at BMM2019 convention.
Glimpses of semi-final performances for our BMM2019 Wah Ustad 12 – 22 age group
Glimpses of semi-final performances for our BMM2019 Wah Ustad 22 and above age group
Check out these videos from industry legends wishing participants the very best for the competition!
Hindustani classical music is an integral part of our heritage and a tradition that has been around for centuries. Many of you have the talent and spend countless hours practicing and cherishing this divine form of music. In recent years, there has been a growing interest in Hindustani classical music amongst all age groups. We applaud your commitment to preserve and nurture our heritage.
For the first time, BMM2019 convention in Dallas will host Wah Ustad, a Hindustani classical vocal competition for youth and adults.
We hope you participate in this and share your talent with the BMM audience. We also ask the teachers to encourage their students to participate in this competition.
General Rules and Eligibility
- The competition will be held in two age groups: Youth (age 12 – 22), Adult (age 22 and above). The age admitted shall be as of July 11, 2019.
- Participation in this competition is discouraged for established professional singers.
- The competition will be held in the following stages:
- Preliminary Rounds will be conducted as digital entry rounds using audition videos that need to be submitted with the online entry form.
- Final rounds will be conducted at the BMM 2019 convention in Dallas. All finalists will have to be registered for BMM2019 as attendees and bear their convention registration, travel and accommodation costs to be eligible for Finals.
- The entry fee per participant will be $35 and is nonrefundable. Entry fee of $35 is paid in the first round only. There are no additional BMM2019 Wah Ustad entry fees for semi-final or final round.
- For the final rounds, singing will need to be with live accompanists only. Appropriate live musician accompaniment will be provided by BMM2019. If finalists have their own accompanists, all the accompanists will also have to be registered for BMM 2019 as attendees and bear their convention registration, travel and accommodation costs in order to participate in the finals.
- For the first and semi-final rounds, participants can choose Ragas from the following list of Ragas: Bhairav, Ahir Bhairav, Jounpuri, Alhaiyya Bilawal, Miyan Ki Todi, Gujari Tod, Lalit, Shuddha Sarang, BrindavaniSarang, Bhimpalas, Madhuvanti, Multani, Shree, Marawa, Puriya Dhanashree, Yaman, Bhoop, Kedar, Bihag, Maru Bihag, Malkauns, Miya ki Malhar, Lalat, Asawari, Jog, Bageshri or Rageshree.
- Raga presented in the previous round should not be repeated in any future round. For the advanced rounds, each participant will be required to present one short Khayal and a drut bandish/composition.
Please read the additional terms and conditions on the link below before submitting your entry.